Friday, June 09, 2006

Cupcakes, cute kids, and crap.

Okay, I never did get around to knitting on Tuesday. Lola Beans kept waking up and by the time I finally got a minute to myself I just ended up sitting on the couch watching VH1's countdown of the 100 Greatest Child Stars (number one was Gary Coleman if you're curious). How sad is that?

Since I have no cool projects going the pictures in today's post are going to be of Lola Bean's Birthday cake, which was cupcakes, and the kids eating them. No pictures of Miss Beans eating them since she slept through the whole party. Poor kid. Anyway, the cupcake tree there is how I managed to maim myself. All those little pictures of the Little Einsteins were made by me. Cut out with those fancy scrapbooking scissors. When I finished making them I noticed that my thumb was numb and tingly. Two weeks later it's better but still a bit tingly. I can't believe I pinched a nerve that bad on something so silly and didn't even notice until it was too late. I couldn't even knit for several days because I couldn't feel anything with my right thumb and it was just too weird. I'm used to it now but I really hope it goes away. The numbness not the thumb, that I'd like to keep.

I'm kind of in a knitting funk right now. I don't have any deadlines left so I'm not pressed to work on anything. I don't really have any projects ready to start either. I'm just kind of "meh" about the whole thing right now. That's probably best since I have a major sewing project coming up. Yes, sewing, the bane of my existance. I'm going to make a few diapers and some adaquate training pants for Miss Beans since I'm sick of buying diapers and the Pull-Ups are the worst invention ever. I can't even begin to tell you about what a nightmare those things are for a parent of a stubborn child. All I'm going to say is that cloth training pants are uncomfprtable when wet and the kid will start going to the can instead of in their pants right quick if you switch to undies and make them help you clean up their messes. Maybe you think that's harsh and traumatic but I'm betting you don't know what it's like to have to do diapers for an infant, deal with a potty resistant three year old, AND clean up after an inconitnent cat day in and day out. There's literally only so much crap I can deal with without going barking mad and my limit is somewhere less than two small children and a cat.

So anyway, I'm going to be doing some sewing and hopefully I won't sew my shirt to my project like that one time, completely forget seam allowances like last time, or give up in misery like all those other times. I should either take a class, buy a book, or just give up on sewing altogether, shouldn't I? Oh well, we all know I'm a crafting masochist so that's not going to happen. Makes more interesting blog reading for the lot of you I guess, silver lining and all that.

*The boys in the pic are my son, Darth, and my nephew, Tank. Acoording to my sister the frosting made Tanks poop blue. Aren't you glad to know that?

Labels: , , ,

Comments on "Cupcakes, cute kids, and crap."

 

Blogger Rain said ... (6/10/2006 5:19 AM) : 

Blue poo! You rock!

The cupcake tree looks fantastic, well worth the work that went into it. Hope your thumb sorts tiself out soon.

The kids look like they're having a fantastic (and messy) time.

Good luck with the sewing. It's the bane of my existence at the moment too.

Hope the potty training goes well.

 

Blogger Penny Karma, aka the F-Bomb Mom said ... (6/10/2006 6:20 AM) : 

I 100% agree that Pull-Ups are the work of The Devil. How are they preferable to diapers, just cuz you can pull them up and down? That doesn't make my life any easier.

And I'm from the same school of Potty Training. Get them to feel a little bit uncomfortable and inconvenienced by their own messes and they'll figure out how much easier it is to just haul their little behinds to the potty.

I'm sure Dr. T. Berry Brazelton would scold me for whatever subliminal psychological damage the implimentation of this theory might cause to a young child, but I stand by the fact that it's a lot less traumatic for the kid than her first day of college would be if she has to ask her roommate to wipe her ass for her.

Make sure you put some Fun Fur trim on Lola Beans' underpants. She won't be able to get them off fast enough.

I have a sewing machine with dust on it.

 

Blogger Penny Karma, aka the F-Bomb Mom said ... (6/10/2006 6:23 AM) : 

I'm gonna have to do the Little Einsteins Cupcake Tree for Tommy - that's really cute!

Oh, and P.S. - You can't count the Blue Poo as a Creative Party Favor.

 

Blogger Elizabeth said ... (6/10/2006 7:15 AM) : 

Owen once had bright red poop after a red frosted Christmas cookie. Scared the poop out of me until I remembered what he had eaten the day before.

I finally forced my almost-five year old out of Pull-ups last week. He was 100% great about pooping in the potty for over a year. But pee? He just didn't seem to care that much. I told him when the school year ended, that was it: no more pullups. We had a few mishaps and then he learned. I also gave him stars for peeing in the potty, which accumulated for a reward, to balance the harshness. It took only a few days once the pull-ups were gone!

 

Blogger cpurl17 said ... (6/10/2006 11:08 PM) : 

I have no experience with potty training but the cupcake tree is spectacular! And blue poo? who knew...

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6/12/2006 8:59 AM) : 

My five year old has been potty trained since he was three . . . except at night . . . I even get him up before I go to bed and he still manages to pee in his pants . . . and since my DH is the lucky winner of the morning time routine, he is still in pull ups at night . . . although he is not allowed to snuggle with me on Saturday or Sunday mornings if he has peed in his pants at night.

My pediatrician isn't worried about it . . . but he isn't buying the stupid things either . . . he says that the problem is a) he has a small bladder and b) we should limit his liquid intake after 6:00 p.m. Thanks for the advice, Dr. Phil!

 

Blogger Dk's Wife said ... (6/12/2006 9:47 AM) : 

You will conquer the sewing because you are a persistant chick.

Blue poop! That is just great.

 

Blogger SoberHope said ... (6/17/2006 6:31 AM) : 

We can teach ourselves to sew together. I'm learning too. Funnily enough I can fix sewing machines but don't really know how to use one. Go figure.

 

Blogger Merry said ... (6/28/2006 9:26 AM) : 

LOVE THE TREE! My son was shocked the first time he had colored poo!
I told him it's the icing from that cake you ate..."COOL, I WANT MORE"!

 

post a comment