Tuesday, May 09, 2006

You know what I need? A project.

Yeah, you're going to want to click on that to make it bigger. Please. You see, I've worked so long and hard on that sock and now I'm worried that it won't fit. It may be too long. It could be too tight. It's (and it's soon to be buddy) for my MIL and it really has to be right. Not because she's an exacting tyrant (you're thinking of your MIL) but because for her birthday last year I gave her a vest that was too small but that she really liked. The yarn was discontinued and I've never gotten gauge with anything I've tried. I know I should just alter the pattern but since it was such a boring knit I'd really rather find something else . I've just felt terrible that I haven't made it up to her and it's been over a year. Let's not even get started on the cableknit sweater my mom requested. Anyone else feel like a walking apology?

Then of course there's my favorite pattern ever: Crumbs. It's coming along but every time I pick it up I just want to rip the whole damn thing out and start fresh with my very own pattern. I'm very seriously considering writing a pattern (or rather a formula that can be easily adjusted for any size) for a top/dress that is strikingly similar but different enough that I wouldn't infringe on the copyright. If I do that, it will be a free pattern that I'll post here on the blog. Any volunteer test knitters (for child and adult sizes)? If I have test knitters willing to allow me to use pics of their projects once finished, I'd be able to offer the pattern much sooner. Like, in time for summer soon.

My newest project that's due at the end of the month is this. I know it looks like a swatch but it's bulky yarn and it'll be a scarf before you know it. It's for my uncle, Elvis*, who has a bad bout of bronchitis. He lives up in the Bay area (San Francisco, Oakland) and works a job where he has to be out of doors a great deal. As Mark Twain said, "There's no colder winter than summer in San Francisco." Hopefully this scarf will help him get well and stay that way. It is alpaca after all. Anyway, Uncle Elvis and Aunt Ivanna are going to be coming down for Lola Beans' birthday party so I want to have it ready then.

On top of these projects I also have my super secret Kate modification that's not quite done yet. It needs appendages and it has more than your standard mammal. Will I finish in time? I sure hope so! I've got a Knit Picks order coming with a pattern I adore and a book by EZ that has a sweater I want to modify. I've gone project MAD!

*As always the names of subjects are changed to reflect their true character, or because I felt like it.

Labels: , , , ,

Comments on "You know what I need? A project."

 

Blogger turtlegirl76 said ... (5/09/2006 12:12 PM) : 

I'll test knit for you! Adult or kid. Doesn't matter. I have a 14 mo-old that I can knit for if need be.

And beautiful job on the Jaywalker!

 

Blogger Jillio said ... (5/09/2006 2:29 PM) : 

wow, the way the yarn for the second jaywalker is wound up is really cooL!
you could always get a sock blocker and block the sock to size...? i dunno.

 

Blogger Dk's Wife said ... (5/09/2006 2:33 PM) : 

I love the way your Crumbs is turning out. :-) Hang in there, you will beat it yet!

I would test knit, but I am not a very fast knitter.

Take care,

 

Blogger Rain said ... (5/09/2006 4:25 PM) : 

I hope the Jaywalkers fit ok.

Hang in there with Crumbs, it's really coming along. I don't blame you for wanting to redo the pattern yourself, crap patterns really get my goat.

 

Blogger Trillian42 said ... (5/09/2006 5:40 PM) : 

That Jaywalker pic is awesome! I like the yarn, and I'll keep my fingers crossed that it (and it's sibling) fit her.

 

Blogger Brittany said ... (5/10/2006 9:54 AM) : 

I'll test knit! Preferably in a kids 6/7 or a one year old!

 

Blogger weaselrina said ... (5/11/2006 3:01 PM) : 

Jaywalker looks awesome!

 

Blogger Katie said ... (5/18/2006 12:24 AM) : 

I'll test knit Crumpets for you. I don't really care about a size too much, but maybe about a 24 months size??? I love how it's looking so far!

 

post a comment