Friday, July 07, 2006

Cut that shit out!

I'm almost done with the cutting. Each diaper needs: 1 cover (denim or other heavy fabric), 2 inner layers (t-shirt), 1 6-layer soaker pad (t-shirt), and optional (which I didn't know until after I had really gotten going) liner which is 1 layer of polar fleece and another 6 layer soaker pad called a doubler. All I have left to cut are the doublers and I have to cut eleventy billion yards of strips for the binding. That will be a blast. At least I still have my mat, fancy ruler, and rotary cutter from my short-lived (is that supposed to be hyphenated?) attempt at quilting. Let's not discuss that, suffice to say it was so bad it was very nearly epic. It's a good thing it's the thought that counts.

I still have a bunch of clothes hanging around here too. I'm not sure what to do about that. I don't really have anymore fabric for covers, I went through all the pants and a curtain already. If I make ones that don't have the heavy duty covers I'll need wool soakers until she's got the potty thing down. I don't really want to spend my knitting time on that. Ugh. I do so enjoy making myself insane.

I haven't even told you about the special needle yet have I? Oh man, I can't believe I didn't go into this yesterday. Okay so this project requires a type of sewing machine needle I've never even seen before. It's a twin needle which is one shaft that becomes two seperate needles in this case 4mm apart. You have to thread the machine with two threads. Okay, I'm sure that's not anything special to those who know what they're doing but I had to spend a good 20 minutes with my manual just to see if my machine could actually use one of those needles since I have (by request, mind you) the sewing machine that does the absolute least. Can you imagine me with one of those fancy machines? I'd have to try to use all its crazy functions! It a mercy that my MIL listened and bought the machine that doesn't do anything but sew. As it turns out it can, the question is, can I? The answer reamins to be seen but I'll bet it won't come without a good deal of cursing.

I just spent the last 20 minutes talking to my neighbor (artist not dealer) and he is such a nice guy. He just had a show last night and he was nervous about how he came off, he's kind of a regular guy not an artiste. To prove that point he was coming over to put our trashcans back in the yard after the trash truck came because he thought we were all out of town. Anyway, we were discussing our various projects and mishaps and as it turns out, he once tried to make shoes too! Okay, actually he just tried to resole his shoes but it was still an illfated and illadvised project involving shoes. He also thinks that sewing is hard. Much harder than it seems anyway. I can agree with that.

Time to go, I have MORE cutting to do. Meh.

Labels:

Comments on "Cut that shit out!"

 

Blogger veritas said ... (7/08/2006 2:12 AM) : 

you are the diper queen!

(nappy. diper in australian in nappy. i mentally change it each time i read it...)

 

Blogger Rain said ... (7/08/2006 9:54 AM) : 

Well at least it's keeping you out of trouble!

Hmm, thought Knittyboard had been quiet...

 

Blogger Penny Karma, aka the F-Bomb Mom said ... (7/08/2006 12:16 PM) : 

Can we call you Nappyhead?

 

Blogger Zonda said ... (7/08/2006 10:24 PM) : 

Wow, that's some cutting!! Bet you are sewing away!! Can't wait to see the finished product!! Hang in there girl!!

 

Blogger turtlegirl76 said ... (7/10/2006 9:59 AM) : 

Wow, you certainly are industrious. I certainly hope this strategy works for you!

 

Blogger Ali said ... (7/10/2006 6:14 PM) : 

I'm very impressed with the cloth diapers or soakers. I really wish I had the patience to make some for my DIL.

Yeah, that twin needle thing is freaky looking. I'd be scared. lol

Can't wait to see the finished product.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7/20/2006 11:37 AM) : 

Ok, so I randomly ran across your blog today and read your post on sewing your own cloth diapers out of old clohtes. Crafy, interesting, totally fucking insane--but it's your time and your life. As a mama of two kids who were cloth diapered, the youngest of which is training at the moment (or is thinking about the potty, looking at it, sitting on it, throwing toilet paper into it by the roll, etc) I just want to give you a wee little head's up: the diapers you are making are for a small person who pees incessantly. The optional liner business is designed more for breast-fed explosion poos than 2-yr-old nuggets, five layers of whatnot, . . . these are serious diapers for long-term use and seem a bit overboard for a month-long toileting project. But, again, it's your sanity

 

post a comment