Wednesday, April 26, 2006

How'd I get on this bandwagon?

Yeah, it is what you think it is (Notice the unintentional diffused glow that alerted me to clean the camera lens, makes it look almost other worldly, eh?). It's a Jaywalker. I don't know what compelled me to do it but suddenly I looked down and I had an inch of ribbing on my size 1US DPNs. I swear I don't even remember winding that skein of All Things Heather (gift from the lovely Keohinani) into a ball but there was that inch of ribbing and it was time to start that pattern stitch. I've picked up and put down the DPNs quite a few time since I found that ribbing in my hand and I'm always astonished at how quickly it seems to be going.

Until I got to the heel.

Now, I've made socks before and I have never understood why some people don't get turning a heel. To me it seems intuitive. I've never had any heel turning trouble to talk tabout (the alliteration is out of control!). The trouble I had with this particular sock was with the reinforcing thread. I couldn't seem to choose one. They all looked crappy. I'm not sure I'm happy with the one I ultimately chose but I do know that I'm not ripping that damned heel out again.

Also, purling across a sliped stitch heel pisses me off. I don't like it.

I am pretty proud of how neatly the stitches look where I picked up around the gussets. Usually I get one perfect side and one that pulls but this time it's looking pretty sweet.

All in all I'm pretty happy with this pattern. Hopefully I'll be able to finish this sock and it's mate for my MIL for Mothers' Day and then I'll go back and finish Crumbs. I'm not stalling on it so much as I just can't find the beads and I have to string more. That's a "GRR!" for another post though.

(The color is more accurate in the first picture)

Labels: , ,

Comments on "How'd I get on this bandwagon?"

 

Blogger Rain said ... (4/26/2006 3:14 PM) : 

That's a really pretty yarn and they look so neat.

Bah! for Crumbs, did you ever send the letter of complaint?

 

Blogger Jillio said ... (4/26/2006 5:49 PM) : 

whoa, those socks are ALL THAT, plus a bag of chips :)
great job! i read somewhere that you can also use the same yarn you're using to make the socks as reinforcing thread...it was in one of those nancy bush sock books. hehehe...
luuuuuuurvely socks. and how generous and thoughtful you are to be making it for your MIL for mother's day! i would just as well have made the socks and kept them, but you? you're just awesome like that. but really? that's just the joy of knitting, isn't it? to get yarn as a gift, and gift it away as a finished object. the joy is in the knitting, and the gift is in the giving. sweeeeeeeeet.
take care, sarah the splendid!

 

Blogger Zonda said ... (4/26/2006 6:58 PM) : 

Those socks rock! Seriously! I didn't know you knit them. Are you a top secret sock knitter..closet one? LOL! I love ATH yarns..got some coming she dyed for my DD. Nice job there!

ahem..Sarah the Splendid ;)

hehe love it!

 

Blogger knottygnome said ... (4/27/2006 7:32 AM) : 

Reinforcing thread? what's that?

those are some seriously funky socks. looks awesome.

 

Blogger Sara said ... (4/27/2006 8:01 AM) : 

Those socks are hot! I love that color!

 

Blogger sheep#100 said ... (4/27/2006 10:25 PM) : 

Gorgeous colorway for the Jays and striping nicely!

 

Blogger weaselrina said ... (4/28/2006 12:31 PM) : 

The call of the Jaywalker - i've recently succumed myself, and yours are doing WAY better than mine!

 

post a comment