Thursday, April 20, 2006

Making peace

Crumpets is slow going as you can see. I'll be giving pattern notes for this thing when I finish it since it was very poorly written. On the bright side you can see my very first pair of Addi Turbos in that picture and I am LOVING them. They make me dread the rows of cabling because I don't want to touch the cable needle when I could be touching those slick shiny new Addis. The cable needle you see in the pic isn't the one I'm using, the one I like up and dissapeared, likely forever lost in the chair I do my knitting in. I've been using a cable hook actually and I don't love it to say the least. I wish I could do the cab;es without a cable needle but this is definately not a project where that is possible.

I can also tell you that there's no danger of me becoming a cotton junkie anytime soon. My poor fingers are suffering from the stuff. But the beads. I love the beads. Beaded knitting my just be my new thing. It's so much fun! I can't wait for the bead rows. I love how they look! Well, I'd love them more if they were the clear purple beads I wanted instead of the dark metallic beads I'm using. Let me tell you it was not fun to dig through the bag of multicolor beads looking for the purplest ones but I think it was worth the effort for them to match a bit better. You can see that some of the beads are still blue or green but they've got purple over at least half of them because they tricked me into thinking they were purple long enough to get into the project. Which reminds me...

A few pattern notes for those who wish to make Crumpets:
1) Prestring the beads before you cast on.
2) An example of the Picot Cast On can be found here: Knitty pattern for Miss Dashwood.
3) You will need WAY more beads than the pattern calls for. I'm not sure just how many but I wish I had stung on at least an additional 25%.
4) Slip all stitches knitwise unless other wise instructed. This may be intuitive to you but it sure as heck wasn't to me. I always slip my stitches purlwise so they don't twist. In this pattern you want that twist.
5) Just because you swatched doesn't mean you'll get the right size. Just remember that the pattern stitch for the top is a multiple of six so after you've seen how crazily huge it is, rip out and guess at how many stitches you'll actually need using a multiple of six. Sorry, I haven't come up with a better way just yet. Once I've finished I'll be sure to share the actual pattern gague for the top section.

I'm sure there will be more and I'll put all of this in my pattern review when I finish the thing.

Oh! I almost forgot, I'm actually reading a book! I know this may not seem like a monumentous event to most people but when you have two small children, it's very difficult to read anything that is longer than you can read in the can. I'm reading a book by the Dalai Lama because that guy fascinates me and also because I'm an angry, angry person and hopefully this will help.

Okay, I have to go, I can hear Darth talking about jumping off his bunk bed, he's four, that won't go well.

Labels: , ,

Comments on "Making peace"

 

Blogger Zonda said ... (4/20/2006 1:39 PM) : 

ohh! I am loving it so far! Sorry to hear it's been a little trying! Will look forward to your notes when you are done..in case I ever decide to do this! LOL!

 

Blogger Rain said ... (4/20/2006 2:39 PM) : 

Go stop that boy! Four year olds aren't suppposed to fly.

It's looking fabulous so far and she's going to to look so pretty in it.

BAH! for poorly written patterns though.

 

Blogger Bezzie said ... (4/20/2006 5:07 PM) : 

Your alternate title for the book you're reading just made my day.

 

Blogger Brittany said ... (4/21/2006 11:51 AM) : 

I'm sorry to hear that the pattern isn't that well written. It's an extremely cute pattern. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.

 

post a comment