Thursday, October 13, 2005

Help me Obi Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope!

God I hate sewing. I hate everything about it. I hate cutting out patterns. I hate not being able to find the good scissors. I hate cutting out the fabric with the teeny-tiny scissors that for some reason are the only ones that can cut fabric. I hate lugging the sewing machine out of the top of the closet. I hate trying to find the bobbins. I hate winding bobbins. I hate trying to sew around a curve. I hate having to iron all the seams. I hate having to start all over because I did something stupid 15 minutes in to a three hour project.

I hate sewing.

I think this is because I'm not any good at it. I have no formal training. I have no innate ability. I also have a friend who is a sewing godess. She called me this evening and in the course of conversation revealed that she made a Victorian bustle skirt in one night, without a pattern. I'm sure it's perfect, or at least looks it. She probably looks even taller and thinner and more fabulous in it too. Because she's just one of those people that's good at everything and always looks fabulous. If I didn't love her, I'd hate her. But you can't hate Kaylee. She's too awesome to hate. In fact, if she were here she'd have made this whole damn Leia costume for me in a half hour without so much as a complaint.

I'm alternately wistful and bitterly jealous. Especially when the first thing Red Todd Kidd asks whenever I start any project that isn't knitted is: "Did you call Kaylee?" Regardless of how valid a question it is or how poor my sewing skills are or how much I hate sewing it still bugs me that he thinks I can't do anything without her help. So what if it's totally true! He shouldn't know it and he certainly shouldn't say it! What a jerk.

As you may have guessed. I drafted out my paper bag pattern for the Leia costume. Twice, as a matter of fact. The first time I didn't account for seam allowances. Yeah, I totally rule. I've gotten so far as cutting out the fabric pieces. Tomorrow comes the ever more entertaining task of ironing all the pieces and sewing them together.

Sigh. I wish Kaylee was here...

Labels: , , , , ,

Comments on "Help me Obi Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope!"

 

Blogger Jillio said ... (10/14/2005 10:22 AM) : 

don't worry, i hate sewing too. as hard as i try, things just don't turn out the way i'd like. i tried making barbie clothes once...the sleeves were different sizes and the pants ended up too small. i even tried making myself a simple pillowcase. a pillowcase! i couldn't even do that because i can't sew in a straight line! bah humbug! it's a good thing starfish took an adult sewing class and knows how to sew. i just make him do it! i'm sure you'll figure out the whole sewing thing and the Leia costume will be fabulous! :)

 

Blogger knottygnome said ... (10/14/2005 1:02 PM) : 

you know what you should do? put it aside for awhile and work on the overalls of shame. that would cheer my mood considerably.

 

Blogger weaselrina said ... (10/14/2005 3:15 PM) : 

OMG do I hate sewing.

In fact.. the only crafty/creative manual thing I've EVER been good at is knitting. The rest of the time its as if I have no thumbs.

 

post a comment