Monday, September 24, 2007

Taking my advice from webcomics

Chances are if you're actually reading my blog you've probably seen this comic strip. I've decided to take the advice of the charming net nerd in the last frame and started up a scarf. Not even a new one, one I've already done before. You see, I need a confidence builder after the unmitigated disaster that was the Victorian Lace Today Cap Shawl. It was truly disgusting what I did to that poor yarn. As a matter of fact, I should get rid of the yarn altogether so I'm not tempted to try again. Seriously, I need like, a lace-weight intervention or something.

So now I'm working on a Wavy in a deep and mysterious forest green. It's far more mysterious than in my totally pro photo at left. It's like Darkest Africa. That's what I would call it if I got to name the colors. But I don't get to name the colors so it'a actually called 'Shade 220' which just doesn't have that same ring to it. It looks viney. Is viney a word? My spell check says, "No," but I don't care what my spell check has to say about it. Shut up spell check! Stop trying to tell me how to live my life, you computers don't own me yet! I'm still free, the robots will never take me alive! Wow, this is some good coffee this morning.

What was I talking about? Ah, yes, the scarf. I'm committing a cardinal knitting sin on this one. Not only am I knitting this for someone who asked me to make them a scarf BUT ALSO it's for a guy I've never actually met. I justify this because I've spoken to him on the phone many times and he entertains the hell out of me and if GK will vouch for him (he's his roommate, hence how I sorta phone-met the guy) then he's got to be a good guy. In any case he's getting a scarf since he was really excited about the one I sent GK some months ago. I do like to be flattered.

I think this project will go a little better than my other recent ones. In a bit of divine providence I accidentally chose a color the guy really likes. Okay, I've got to stop calling him 'the guy', I mean I'm knitting for him he should get a name right? Uh... Hercules. So I'm knitting Hercules a scarf. Awesome.

The yarn for this is really fantastic. It's a machine washable (it's for a guy, I have no illusions about how it will be treated) wool blend. SKR Perth, it's 70% merino and 30% acrylic and you can put it in the dryer! It's really soft, squishy, and the stitch definition is great. I'm totally in love with the stuff.

And finally does anyone read and write well in Greek? I could use a bit of assistance with something...

Labels: , , ,

Comments on "Taking my advice from webcomics"

 

Blogger Mag said ... (9/24/2007 10:22 AM) : 

I know a blogger who lives in Greece. You could ask her if she knows what you want. Her name is Cathy. Her blog is very Poe Poetic, but that doesn't reflect her very good sense of humor.

http://litcor.blogspot.com/

Her email is in the profile. Tell her Magatha sent you over since maybe she knows a little Greek? >drum riff<

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9/24/2007 10:25 AM) : 

I'm completely fluent in Greek!

...Okay, no, no I'm not. Also, spell check doesn't know everything damnit! It keeps telling me I spell colour and cheque wrong. It's not wrong, I'm just Canadian!

 

Blogger DomesticOverlord said ... (9/24/2007 10:48 AM) : 

Being Canadian is wrong.

 

Blogger cpurl17 said ... (9/24/2007 10:48 AM) : 

Yarntard! That's me.

If I flatter you everyday, will you make me a Wavy?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9/24/2007 11:30 AM) : 

Ha. Yarntard. Snort.

Sorry I can't help you with the Greek, but I spent most of my time studying Pig Latin. Need any help there?

Love the Wavy - can't wait to see it finished.

 

Blogger turtlegirl76 said ... (9/24/2007 3:33 PM) : 

I didn't know you were working on the Cap Shawl! me too! My favorite phrase right now for all things that piss me off is "Fuck you, Cap Shawl!"

 

Blogger Sssarahevt said ... (9/29/2007 7:25 AM) : 

I like the wavey, but I loooove the chair fabric ; )

 

post a comment