Monday, June 25, 2007

And suddenly I try to save the day (again).

This weekend we went and signed up Darth for flag football. When we arrived they told us that the team was full but that there were almost enough kids for a second team. Eight people had signed up to assist the coach of said team but no one had signed up to be Head Coach, which they must have to have a team. Somehow I volunteered. I think this was probably stupid.

I'm really not sure why I do these things. Why do I always want to save the day? Why do I stay up all night making crazy birthday cakes or injure my hand trying to make the best cupcakes ever? Why do I have to make homemade gifts? Why do I wait until the last minute to do everything? Why the HELL did I just sign up to coach football for 5 year olds?

Deep breath, it's only practices 5 days a week for two weeks and 3 days a week after that with games on Saturdays. It only requires that I get re-certified in first aid and CPR and that I complete at least 6 hours of training clinics. I only have to teach 5-7 year olds in untold numbers how to play a sport I have never actually played (with rules anyway). I only have to deal with 8 dads who didn't step up to coach and will now resent that I did. You know, no big deal.

I'm insane.

So I'm going to knit Enrelac's sock this week. I will have it completed by next week. I will. It has been decided. This is for three reasons. #1 She loved the first one, hooray! So I'm excited and want to get her the second one. #2 Football season is going to be starting and when it does my knitting will go on hiatus for awhile. #3 I still have knit my FIL a sweater before his birthday in August.

To reiterate: I'm insane.

It should be fun to watch me self destruct though, right?

Labels: ,

Comments on "And suddenly I try to save the day (again)."

 

Blogger Rain said ... (6/25/2007 3:22 PM) : 

Ahh, but life would be boring if you were normal. I don't see you as a bored housewife somehow...

 

Blogger Batty said ... (6/26/2007 9:37 AM) : 

I love the combination of being insane and wanting to save the day. That's one of the reasons I'll be applying to law school in the fall. The world is in serious need of demented superheroes, and I'm glad you're doing your part!

 

Blogger Mag said ... (6/26/2007 10:13 AM) : 

You do these things because you care (at the heart of every snarky smart aleck is a person who cares, a lot, that's why they snark. It's true. Think about it.) and you think it's possible for you to do them. I think you can do it too. I didn't think anyone could or should have knit the overalls of shame and yet you did and sent them on tour no less.
Maybe you'll find out you like coaching/teaching. Then you'll have to go back to school and get certified for that. (Those kids will be in school all day before you know it and you'll want a career/job.)
Maybe you'll get blog fodder or ever better, serious writing fodder from he experience.
Yes, you are insane, but functionally insane. ;-)

 

Blogger Rebel said ... (6/27/2007 11:33 AM) : 

Honey - you are insane. But it will be fun, you can teach them *your* rules for football. - zuma

 

Blogger Zonda said ... (6/27/2007 5:03 PM) : 

Oh, thank you for that post! You sound so much like me!!! Have fun with the football, kinda like me and a Den leader for Cub Scouts! Arghhhhhh!

 

post a comment