Thursday, September 20, 2007

This is me

In an attempt to actually blog once in awhile, like at least weekly. I joined up the knitty blogstalking ring (over there in the left side bar there's a button thingy for it). This week's assignment is "Who am I?". Personally, I find that a bit existential for: a) a blog post, b) a weekend (yes, I'm totally running late as usual), c) the very first blogstalking post but then again, I just used the word thingy, so who am I to judge?

I actually spent a lot of time thinking about what I wanted to post and I really couldn't come up with anything clever. I thought about posting pictures of Imperial Beach where I grew up or some significant item I have lying around but just went around in circles. The one thing that kept coming up is a place I've never been inside of, that I have no tangible connection to. There's a salt works on a side street over by the bay that just fascinates me. I'm not sure what it is about the place that I find so appealing but I love to drive by it. I prefer it when the sky is a steely grey but this morning's minor rain didn't leave behind any real clouds.

In any case, this is me:







I love the way this place, though still in constant use, looks abandoned. I love the little stalactites of salt that hang down from every awning like Southern Californian icicles. The reflection in the water, the peeling paint, the rusting equipment. I just think it's beautiful. Or, at the very least, compelling.

I don't know why it seems to sum me up but it does. I think I may have misunderstood the assignment...

Labels:

Comments on "This is me"

 

Blogger Penny Karma, aka the F-Bomb Mom said ... (9/20/2007 11:24 AM) : 

Welcome back!

I never gave up on your blog, just in case the "abandoned" aspect of the building is what made you feel connected to it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9/20/2007 12:01 PM) : 

I don't think you misunderstood it at all. I love the pictures, fabulous old building :).

 

Blogger SuzannaBanana said ... (9/20/2007 12:38 PM) : 

I think you understood perfectly. This post is beautiful.

 

Blogger Norm Deplume said ... (9/20/2007 12:59 PM) : 

I love it. And I get it, too. :)

 

Blogger kemtee said ... (9/20/2007 1:50 PM) : 

I get it. Really.

Excellent photo composition, BTW.

 

Blogger purple_niko said ... (9/20/2007 1:54 PM) : 

I love the photo that has the reflection of the building in it.
The great thing about this assignment is that no one can be wrong - who are we to tell people what they are or are not, right?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9/20/2007 2:38 PM) : 

This is one of my favorites. I really wish we lived closer. I wish I worked there. Only for maybe two weeks, though. Anyway, this was wonderful.

 

Blogger Sue, aka seiding said ... (9/20/2007 3:23 PM) : 

I really liked your post--very interesting photos. How we see the world around us reveals our nature.

 

Blogger weezalana said ... (9/20/2007 3:41 PM) : 

I love it! That building is beautiful, almost haunting. And well, I love me some salt, too.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9/20/2007 6:16 PM) : 

I don't think you misunderstood either. Fantastic pictures, and I do get it.

 

Blogger Zonda said ... (9/20/2007 7:45 PM) : 

Hi!!! I like it!! Hey, the thing I like best about this is everyone's different interpretation!! Makes it much more interesting!! :)

 

Blogger Bezzie said ... (9/21/2007 6:27 AM) : 

So does this mean you're salty on the outside? ;0)

 

Blogger Jo said ... (9/21/2007 6:59 AM) : 

That's inetresting. I didn't know what kind of factory thast was to begin with - I had to zoom in after you mentioned the salt icicles.

 

Blogger Eryn said ... (9/21/2007 12:17 PM) : 

I love it. I wish I could sum "me" up in cool pictures.

 

Blogger Lauren said ... (9/21/2007 3:00 PM) : 

What an interesting take on the question! And I totally get where your coming from, some things just draw you to them and speak to you. It is a neat looking old building.

 

Blogger Owlie said ... (9/21/2007 8:34 PM) : 

I like it. :)

 

Blogger cpurl17 said ... (9/21/2007 11:13 PM) : 

Glad you're back!

Your photos (and you) are fabulous

 

Blogger Speckel said ... (9/22/2007 7:16 AM) : 

I'm drawn to things like that too; these are the things that make us interesting.

 

Blogger ZantiMissKnit said ... (9/22/2007 4:59 PM) : 

there's a mill like there near where I grew up, and I always felt a connection to it myself. Mostly I wanted to go and poke around because it looked spooky.

 

Blogger Mag said ... (9/23/2007 2:37 PM) : 

Are you trying to tell us you're an old salt? (hah! trying very hard to take all the poetry out of it!)
Great photos. The salt works have the message 'go away' and 'danger lurks' written all over them. ;-)

 

post a comment