Monday, January 22, 2007

Get a job, Mom.

I've finished the back of Veste Everest and it's perfect. Seriously, it looks like someone else entirely knit the thing. That ought to skyrocket my pride up into the overconfident stratosphere leading to all manner of trouble with the front, don't you think?

Well, I can't be too proud with Darth around to knock me back to reality. Today he asked (for the zillionth time) when we'd be going to Disneyland. It finally broke down and gave him a more straight answer than the one I had been using ("When Lola Beans gets bigger, so you can both ride the rides.") and said, "Disneyland costs a lot of money and we don't have a lot of money." Then he told me to get a job. Fantastic.

You know me, I told that kindergartener in no uncertain terms what exactly my job entails and how if I wasn't here to do my job that he'd be really sad, unclothed, lonely, etc. You know, really put him in his place. He started crying. Fantastic.

By the time we got to school he was over it, though through the course of the conversation he got more upset before he got better. I suppose I didn't have to tell him that he had 12 more years of school to look forward to before college and that he has to go to college to make lots of money so he can take his kids to Disneyland but somehow, it just came out. I never know the right thing to say so I think I'm just trudging through life trying to say the MOST wrong thing.

On to the knitting: I'm planning projects. My new nephew to be is getting the Auspicious Coincidences Baby Sweater from Compassionate Knitting (If you take a look at the inside pages, it's the top left on the very first page of pics). I have a bunch of cotton oddballs that are perfect for this thing so I'm forgoing the Ninja Suit idea for the time being in favor of the idea that will only cost me $4.50 (a few extra whole balls to use for the trim).

I have succumbed to the awesomeness that is Eunny Jang. I will be knitting up her Endpaper Mitts for my mom sooner or later, I just ordered the yarn. If I don't completely suck at those I'm going to make a go at the Anemoi Mittens even though I have absolutely no need for mittens basically ever. I can't help it, they're just so freaking awesome! If I go really insane I'll also make ones that have earth, water, and fire motifs. I don't anticipate anyone needing to worry about that happening. I don't think I'll even make it to buying the pattern letalone knitting it up or designing my own. I have an Aran sweater to design and knit this year.

Labels: , , , ,

Comments on "Get a job, Mom."

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1/22/2007 12:28 PM) : 

Mine gets a word each day at school which he needs to incorporate into a sentence. Last week the word was "nice". His sentence? "My parents are not nice to me." Maybe I should take away his Gameboy DS and his brand new Superman sheets/comforter and his crap load of toys from Santa....then he'll see what NOT nice really means.

But you know...it's only the beginning. I hear they get worse when they're teenagers (mine is only 6...)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1/22/2007 1:51 PM) : 

Ah but just wait til he tells the kids at school he can't go to their birthday parties because we can't afford a present for them...muhahahaha! Don't worry too much about it. He truly won't get it until he's out on his own and has to support his own butt and moreso if he has his own Darthlings to support.

Eunny Jang blows my freaking mind. There's no way I could even pretend to reach that level of knitting enlightenment.

 

Blogger Rain said ... (1/23/2007 3:18 PM) : 

I'm gutted you're not making a ninja suit but big thumbs up for using stash yarn. I'm trying to do that where I can too.

Can't wait to see your veste everest.

Being a mother is the most important job you'll ever do, he'll get it one day.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1/24/2007 6:13 AM) : 

I want a ninja suit! Make me one, please?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1/24/2007 6:45 AM) : 

You sound just like my mom and me and my sibs all grew up basically undamaged. It did take us many years to get the whole $$ thing, but eventually we got there. Too bad it wasn't actually when we were kids.

I can't believe you are giving up on the ninja suit.

 

post a comment