Friday, November 17, 2006

Blogstalking: Trinket

This week's blog stalking is: "...a little something nearby that's been around for longer than you can remember, and you don't know why you still have it, but for some reason you can't get rid of it?"

I have one of those and it's coming up but when I took its picture I started snapping a few others. This one (to the left) is of several
tchotchkes that sit out on my bookshelf. Let me tell you about them.

I have no idea what Kennywood is. I'm told it's not Kenny Rogers' version of Dollywood. I was disapointed. The shot glass belongs to Red Todd Kidd and it has pins and whatnot in it. The snake and the monkey I found in a shop one day on clearance and purchased because RTK and I were born in the year of the snake and monkey (respectively), the kids were also born in those years, weird, eh? The little mug that says San Francisco is from my childhood. I've had it since I was at least four. I don't know its story but I do know the one behind the Wild Animal Park cup. The WAP cup is the kind they call a souvenier cup but really isn't the quality of something you'd save. That's part of why I saved it. I also saved it to torment my Brother in Law with. That's still coming as soon as I figure out something to do with it. It's already been two years that I've saved that damn thing. Please also note the book on the Fourteen Dalai Lamas flanked by a book titled Rage and two Sin City books, I didn't pose them, we are that hypocritical.


Next up we have the mysterious elephant bead. I clearly remember this having something to do with my friend Bish. I also remember it being on a cord with other beads once upon a time. What happened there is unknown to me as I fried most of my brain cells from those years. Also in the drawer holding the elephant bead are notes from knitties and knitbloggers, matches, lighters, and weird stuff I've saved for no real reason. You can see RTK's braid from when he cut off his hair as well as one of the two New Hampshire state quarters I was going to find a way to make cuff links out of for my friend The Single Letter. He is not from New Hampshire and has never lived there. Yes, I know we're strange people. I know you may also be wondering why I've burried a fridge magnet my son made in a drawer (you can't see it but it's adorable) and the answer is because the thing is made out of a piece of slate and it won't stay on the fridge. I need a stronger magnet but keep forgetting to get one.

Lastly, we have the thing that truly fits the category: the butterfly pill box. I honestly don't know where this came from. I've had it as long as I can remember. I do remember picking off the enamel to see if the picture was printed underneath it when I was about five. You can see the paint is coming off and it's in terrible shape. It likely came from a dollar store. I don't even like butterflies. And yet it's packed away, safely in my jewelry box, away from little hands. I can't get rid of it. We humans are strange aren't we? I bet there's no chimp carting around a little rock just because he's been holding it longer than he recalls.

I remember, when I was little, I thought it was a box to keep a butterfly in because it looked like it had an air hole in it (it's actually the spot where the button on the front to open it is attached). Because I know it kills me with curiosity when people post things like this without telling what they keep in it I'll show you. Earrings. It's been holding earrings since 1994 or so and I bought a bunch of little studs shaped like random stuff at a faire, though most of the ones in it now belong to RTK. Some of the ones in there are piercing studs fom the eleventy billion times I've had my ears pierced and repierced. For some reason, I can't throw those out either.

So there you have it, my trinkets.

In knitting news, I started the gloves for SIL, have completed 10 of 16 dishcloths, and created yet another project for myself.

Comments on "Blogstalking: Trinket"

 

Blogger Jillio said ... (11/17/2006 5:27 PM) : 

dude. 10 out of 16 dishcloths. SERIOUSLY. 10 out of 16?!?! i feel inadequate.

 

Blogger Trillian42 said ... (11/17/2006 5:36 PM) : 

KENNYWOOD! I grew up going to Kennywood! It's an awesome amusement park near Pittsburgh!

And I like your trinkets. I'm going to have to go on a hunt for mine to post this weekend.

 

Blogger Bezzie said ... (11/17/2006 7:03 PM) : 

I must agree 16 washcloths is amazing. I'm surprised you haven't gone mad(der) ;-)

I like your monkey snakes. They've reminded me of something I think I'll have to post.

 

Blogger cpurl17 said ... (11/17/2006 8:38 PM) : 

Great trinkets. I'm going to have to search through the piles of dust in my house to find sometihng to post.

 

Blogger turtlegirl76 said ... (11/18/2006 5:30 AM) : 

You're up to 16?! Wow. That's awesome. Good on ya.

I need to pull out the vaccuum and start looking around. Hmm...several possibilities here.

 

Blogger Rain said ... (11/27/2006 12:57 PM) : 

Tee hee, your trinkets are even more random than mine. Please tell me why I have a piece of elephant shaped spaghetti on my shelf?

You're knocking those dishcloths out like no tomorrow, you'll easily be done by christmas at this rate. I bow down to your superior organisation.

 

Blogger Batty said ... (12/02/2006 5:41 PM) : 

16 washcloths. I am in awe.

 

post a comment