Thursday, January 04, 2007

I wish I could show you what I've been up to...

...but I can't. I left my camera at my sister's house on New Year's and so I can't quite show you the sock I made for Red Todd Kidd. Yes only one, he has a peg leg as all good pirates do. Okay not really but after doing an 80 stitch sock that I ended up having to rip the beautifully braided top out of because it was too small to get over his heel, I'm not ready to cast on for the second one yet.

What I can show you is the pattern picture from Folk Socks, so that's what I've done here. Look to the left and marvel at the socks that look remarkably unlike the one sock I have just completed.

My version is in the yarn called for (Wildfoote, which is a little splitty but liveable) but in different colors. I've used Zane Grey ( a similarly tweeded looking yarn for the main color), Black Orchid (as called for), and Gunsmoke (instead of white). I also went up a needle size and I'm glad I did because there's no way these would have fit otherwise.

I got to do a bit of colorwork with these, the braided pattern on the top is done by switching colors while purling which tangles the yarn like crazy but makes for a beautiful result that can cut off the circulation of any man's leg with little effort. It's something I'll definately try again for a sleeve detail or something but never for the top of a sock!

Also, I hate the heel in these. Luckily RTK is fine with it and that's all that matters to me.

These shall be his lucky socks. They will get him a fantabulous new job. I have decided it.

Also in the works is Veste Everest from IK Fall 2005. I'm going to my LYS today to get the yarn for it. It's for my MIL for her birthday in February. I think I'll be able to do it since I'm pretty good with cables and it doesn't have sleeves. I'll be adding a bit of length to it as I don't think she'll be hot for wearing a belly shirt (oh, I wish you could view my mental picture of that). We'll see how I do. I've been actually knitting since October after being so patchy about it in the past year, I'm excited to see if I can finish some real projects this year.

Labels: , , ,

Comments on "I wish I could show you what I've been up to..."

 

Blogger cpurl17 said ... (1/04/2007 12:49 PM) : 

My Dad has a peg leg too. I made him one sock, 96 stitches in Trekking XXL. It's too long so I have to rip back.

 

Blogger Bezzie said ... (1/04/2007 1:50 PM) : 

So it sounds like the stranding with the one complete sock will make RTK a two-pegger. Arrggg!

I dig that vest. I'm the same way--as long as it doesn't have sleeves, I'm cool.

 

Blogger Rain said ... (1/04/2007 4:08 PM) : 

Cool socks, can't wait to see yours.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1/05/2007 10:28 AM) : 

great minds think alike! i was just thinking this morning that i should revisit that IK vest pattern and i have some blue sky cotton in the stash that would be perfect.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1/05/2007 4:07 PM) : 

Heh, you made bondage socks! Go figure!

 

post a comment