Wednesday, July 12, 2006

In Memorium

I've always said that if someone I knew got cancer I'd shave my head when they went through chemotherapy. I wasn't there to show my solidarity for Jennifer so I decided to do the next best thing. Donate my hair to Wigs for Kids so that somewhere some little kid going through chemo or that has severe burns or alopecia can have it.

I chose Wigs for kids instead of Locks of Love because though highly puublicized, Locks of Love doesn't actually use the donated hair they recieve to make wigs. They sell it and then use the funds to aquire wigs for children. Wigs for Kids uses as many of the donations of hair as they can (not all can be used as some are unsuitable). I don't know, the more research I did on Locks of Love the shadier they seemed. So Wigs for Kids gets the hair.

So there you have it, 14" of length in those ponytails waiting to be mailed. That's about 3-4 years worth of growth and care. I can't say I'm entirely sorry to see it go. I'm happy that I did something for someone else and to honor Jennifer's memory. Also, it's really hot.

Labels:

Comments on "In Memorium"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7/12/2006 6:42 PM) : 

Wow! Good for you. I must say I lack the wontons to cut off that much hair at once. Bravo.

 

Blogger Ali said ... (7/12/2006 7:02 PM) : 

Absolutely gorgeous hair and what an even more beautiful act.

Your new do is stunning on you. Not many can carry that off.

You know you actually look like an "Overlord". Ya know?

 

Blogger Batty said ... (7/12/2006 7:10 PM) : 

Gorgeous. I'm not kidding. Play around with makeup, you may find that stuff you couldn't pull off before suddenly looks fantastic.

 

Blogger veritas said ... (7/12/2006 7:11 PM) : 

that's one sexy haircut. seriously.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7/12/2006 7:22 PM) : 

I think you did a wonderful thing. The new haircut looks good on you.

 

Blogger Penny Karma, aka the F-Bomb Mom said ... (7/12/2006 7:28 PM) : 

I am so proud of you!

That was a fantastic thing to do. And I love that you did the research so that your beautiful hair would actually go to where it's needed. Good job.

P.S. You look fantastic.

 

Blogger aija said ... (7/12/2006 8:03 PM) : 

Good job, and your cut looks great.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7/12/2006 8:15 PM) : 

You look beautiful!

 

Blogger cpurl17 said ... (7/12/2006 9:46 PM) : 

Hot damn girl, you look GREAT! That haircut makes your eyes look huge!

And what a generous gesture.

 

Blogger Zonda said ... (7/12/2006 10:40 PM) : 

You are amazing! I'm so glad it will go to kids that need it, not like the other place!

Girl you look fab-u-lous!!! Love the new do! (I bet it is cooler too! ;)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7/13/2006 4:15 AM) : 

I think it's VERY flattering! What a great thing for you to do.

 

Blogger Karen said ... (7/13/2006 6:01 AM) : 

Great new do and what a wonderful act!

 

Blogger OLPP said ... (7/13/2006 6:25 AM) : 

*whoooot whooooo!* (that's supposed to be the "hey hot mama!' whistle)

see, now you're just even more beautiful inside and out!

 

Blogger ZantiMissKnit said ... (7/13/2006 6:30 AM) : 

It is beautiful! Before and after! What a wonderful thing for you to do in the memory of a dear friend.

 

Blogger Rain said ... (7/13/2006 8:28 AM) : 

I really like the new 'do' and think it was a lovely thing to do in tribute to Jennifer.

 

Blogger wonky said ... (7/13/2006 9:33 AM) : 

So cute! You look feisty!

 

Blogger knottygnome said ... (7/13/2006 11:56 AM) : 

the new 'do is fab.

i donated my hair to locks of love at the end of last winter. i did not do my research...just heard that my landlord did it and got a good salon rec.

i'm sure you'll enjoy the new lack of hair. i sure did, though now i'm growing it out again.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7/13/2006 12:35 PM) : 

That is seriously wonderful :) We were just discussing you hair, your husband's love of your hair..and now this? What a lovely thing to do.

The cut is awesome, short bangs and all ;)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7/14/2006 2:26 AM) : 

Jennifer would be proud of you for doing that.

And you look fab-u-lous

 

Blogger Brittany said ... (7/14/2006 7:54 AM) : 

What do you mean, not flattering? I think it looks fantastic. And especially when you think of where that hair went....

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7/14/2006 3:02 PM) : 

Great looking haircut and a very selfless act in chopping it all off.

 

Blogger Pinkwool said ... (7/15/2006 7:14 AM) : 

Bravo, DO!! That is a very selfless act of love.

Your new 'do is really sexy! I have been thinking of cutting mine off, too (mine's not nearly as long as yours was). I bet you feel 15lbs lighter, though. :)

 

Blogger Elspeth said ... (7/23/2006 9:39 PM) : 

Wow, that's good to know. I was thinking about growing a few more inches for locks of love but now I won't bother. Great cut!

 

Blogger ChestyLove said ... (7/25/2006 5:21 AM) : 

WOW. I REALLY like your new 'do. It makes you look so distinctive and exotic!! Bloody hell. I'm in the process of my growing my hair out to nipple length or so...but now I'm tempted by that cut.

Hubby's assistant (the one that just got married) grows his hair out and donates it to Locks of Love every few years. I like the concept of hair donation. You're pretty cool, DO...

 

post a comment