Monday, January 23, 2006

Stupid Steelers

Red Todd Kidd lived in Pittsburg in his youth and consequently thinks that's where he's from. His family continues to cheer for the Steelers and they are very excited at the possibility of there being "one for the thumb" (Super Bowl rings, that is). I'm thinking of knitting a black and yellow beanie for my FIL but I don't really want to be confused for a Steelers fan. The Steelers having been considered an enemy around here since that whole Chargers/49ers Superbowl of a good many years ago.

The thing is, I'm not really a Chargers fan either. I've been in San Diego my whole life and they just dissapointed me once too often. I declared them dead to me several years ago and claimed the newly formed Houston Texans as my team since the NFL seemed to give them to me just as I was completely fed up with the home team. I sat down and watched their inaugural game and said, "If they beat the Cowboys (whom I hate but only slightyly less than I hate the Raiders) I will be a Texans fan,"and they did. It's like destiny right?

I have other teams I like too, you kind of have to when you can't get the games you want (oh if only I could get that hella phat NFL package from Direct TV on digital cable instead, that would be sweet). In fact one of the other teams I like to see win is the Seahawks who the Steelers will be pitted against in this Superbowl. I have to say that this time I'm going to have to root for the Steelers, my life would be in danger from the in-laws if I don't. Am I happy about it? No. Have I begrudgingly become a Steelers fan? HELL no. But I do know quite a few of their names and numbers at this point. If I saw any of the first string guys walking down the street I'd recognize them instantly. I can't say that for any other NFL team at this point.

Damn it.

I guess I should go get that yarn.

Comments on "Stupid Steelers"

 

Blogger Rain said ... (1/24/2006 12:46 AM) : 

Hmm, you sound like a fan to me ;) Best get knitting!

No issues in our family, the kids are put in the team kit before they can walk.

 

Blogger Sourire11 said ... (1/24/2006 9:16 AM) : 

Yeah... my husband is a HUGE Steelers fan. and my knitting is unfortunately being consumed by his football obsession - I knit my dog a steelers sweater and my husband a steelers hat (pics of both on my blog in case you're interested). I'll be so glad when football season is over!!!

 

Blogger Sarah said ... (1/24/2006 10:43 AM) : 

Hey...I just noticed over at yarn harlot's knitting olympics page, that there are 25 ish! Knitting Sarah's with blogs....I think we should start a campaign to make em join the ring you started! Join up ye Sara[h]'s who knit!

go here: http://www.yarnharlot.ca/blog/olympics2006.html
and scroll down to see!

 

post a comment