Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Tuesday mornings and an ode to socks

Ahhhhhhhh. It's Tuesday morning. To some that may just mean it's no longer Monday but neither is it Wednesday. To me, however, it means peace and quiet. Darth is off to preschool so it's just me and Miss Beans who's on a trip in her favorite rocket ship right now (name the cartoon and you get a prize, don't get too excited though, it's just my commiseration). I'm sitting to breakfast at my computer. Peanut butter toast and a hot chocolate that Moctezuma would have been proud of. All is right with the world.

To the knitting!
I'm waiting on a longer circ before I can continue with the Somewhat Cowel. A 29" circ is just not enough for a top that will have a 44" bust. I hope my dodgy math turns out okay, I've already put a LOT of time and effort in this thing.

I'm also working on a little ipod case/cozy for my sister. She loaned me her ipod and car adapter thing for a recent trip I took so I thought this would be a nice way to pay her back. It's being knitted up with some sparkly orange yarn I got from punkrawker86 in the Holiday SP round. Totally perfect for my sister.

I'm still toiling, albeit occasionally, on the Harry Potter scarf and I think it may be time to break out Satchel and finish it. I have a vest for my MIL waiting in the wings as well.

Oh crap! I can't believe it! I haven't shown you my best Christmas present, have I? What a bad, bad, knitblogger I am! I got a Lexie Barnes knitting bag from my MIL for Christmas! It's in the Hermosa print. I love it. The best part is that it doesn't replace my other super cool handmade bag. They're SO different that they both serve an excellent purpose. I use my Lexie Barnes bag when I want to carry several small projects, I'm going on a longer trip and need a bunch of tools, or there might be inclement weather. I use my handmade bag to carry a large project, when I'm going over to someone's house, or when I'm going to need to have a lot of access to my materials while I'm working. So awesome.

In keeping with the simple pleasures theme of today's post, I'd like to leave you with a poem by Chilean poet Pablo Neruda who truly understood the love that comes with a hand knitted item. This poem is from a book called Odes to Common Things, which is truly excellent. I highly recommend you go check out Mr. Neruda at your local library, let me know if I turn you into a fan!

"Ode to My Socks"

Maru Mori brought me
a pair
of socks
that she knit with her
shepherd's hands.
Two socks as soft
as rabbit fur.
I thrust my feet
inside them
as if they were
two
little boxes
knit
from threads
of sunset
and sheepskin.

My feet were
two woolen
fish
in those outrageous socks,
two gangly,
navy-blue sharks
impaled
on a golden thread,
two giant blackbirds,
two cannons:
thus
were my feet
honored
by
those
heavenly
socks.
They were
so beautiful
I found my feet
unlovable
for the very first time,
like two crusty old
firemen, firemen
unworthy
of that embroidered
fire,
those incandescent
socks.

Nevertheless
I fought
the sharp temptation
to put them away
the way schoolboys
put
fireflies in a bottle,
the way scholars
hoard
holy writ.
I fought
the mad urge
to lock them
in a golden
cage
and feed them birdseed
and morsels of pink melon
every day.
Like jungle
explorers
who deliver a young deer
of the rarest species
to the roasting spit
then wolf it down
in shame,
I stretched
my feet forward
and pulled on
those
gorgeous
socks,
and over them
my shoes.

So this is
the moral of my ode:
beauty is beauty
twice over
and good things are doubly
good
when you're talking about a pair of wool
socks
in the dead of winter.

Comments on "Tuesday mornings and an ode to socks"

 

Blogger Zonda said ... (1/10/2006 9:19 AM) : 

Cool Lexie Barnes bag!!

 

Blogger Jillio said ... (1/10/2006 10:02 AM) : 

lovely poem! pablo neruda was always a read aloud favorite in school :) thanks for sharing! if only more people would cherish a pair of handknit socks as much...but nothing like us knitters who would happily knit socks to warm and enlighten the world ;) like we need an excuse...pah, just show us the yarn!

 

Blogger Pinkwool said ... (1/10/2006 10:20 AM) : 

I know the answer to your riddle only because I have a toddler who loves to watch Little Einsteins. lol. Nice Lexie bag! I am envious. :D

 

Blogger Amy said ... (1/10/2006 10:35 AM) : 

Love the Darth Vader plate. All so often I have Strawberry Shortcake or Spiderman at my computer desk with my morning coffee!
And 'Little Einsteins' is the current fave in our house as well...they've watched the latest special four times already and counting. You have to admit that it is quite clever musically, much more so than so many other children's programs.

 

Blogger Rain said ... (1/10/2006 11:57 AM) : 

And there was me thinking she might be watching Button Moon, then I remembered it's been a long time since little ones were entertained by dodgy string puppets.

What a great bag, I love the print.

 

Blogger Chris said ... (1/10/2006 1:21 PM) : 

Nice bag! And woah - you have a lot of projects in the works. :)

That's my favorite Neruda poem. Second favorite is the one about chopping wood.

 

post a comment