Thursday, January 19, 2006

Dumbstruck

Yes, today it happened to me. I was hit out of the blue by a question so rediculous and stupid that I literally could not form a sentence. I actually said, "Buh, wha? You..?" and hung up the phone.

You see today I informed by husband that I wanted to spend part of our tax return on some shoes. I didn't specify how many pair or how much they cost. Chances are it'll be about $200 for two pair. Cheaper if I get lucky. The thing is I have to special order shoes because I wear a size 6 1/2 EEE (also known as WW or XW), my feet are like square.

Another thing you must know is that I'm a cheapskate. Especially about things like clothes, shoes, hair care products, etc. Perhaps this is why I usually look like crap? Anyway, because I live in Southern California I can get away with wearing flip-flops year round and only plunking down like $10 a year on shoes from target. I honestly and actually own two pairs of shoes that fit me comfortably. One pair of the $10 flip-flops, and one pair of Mary Janes.

Last May a freind of mine got married and I was in the wedding. The shoes she wanted us to wear (those little cloth Mary Janes you get in Chinatown) cut off my circulation after standing in them for 10 minutes so I had to come up with something else. I knitted a pair but I also went out and bought a pair of leather Mary Janes that actually fit me from a specialty store. They cost me $99.97.

Okay you've got the background now. So here's the conversation:


"I want to spend a little bit of our tax return on some shoes."

"Don't you have a pair?"

"Buh, wha? You..?"

Seriously, I'm just flabbergasted. How much do you spend in a year on shoes? In the past four I've spent about $150. One pair of $15 heels from Target, three pairs of flip flops and the $100 Mary Janes. My mother has bought me a few pairs to supplement, less I go about unshod. I don't think I'm being rediculous do you?

Comments on "Dumbstruck"

 

Blogger Chris said ... (1/19/2006 4:24 PM) : 

No. You are severely underpriviliged in the shoe department (so to speak).

I don't have the most commonly sized feet by any means (womens 11), but I have, conservatively and including sport shoes and winter boots, 25 pairs.

I will wait for a moment whilst you recover. Better? I'm willing to bet that you will hear from folks with more shoes than I, too.

For crap's sake, you need some damn shoes! Tell the guy I said so. Feel free to threaten him with the all-seeing eye of Chaos.

 

Blogger Jerry & Maxy said ... (1/19/2006 7:40 PM) : 

Yeah, just smack the crap out of him because it's completely unacceptable that you don't have at least 10 pairs of shoes! OMG, I can't even imagine that conversation...

Spend away...you deserve it. You've been practically barefoot for 4 years.

 

Blogger SoberHope said ... (1/20/2006 7:40 AM) : 

Boys are so dumb. They don't understand that a selection of shoes is a woman's birthright. I may not wear the latest fashions or put on makeup everyday but goddamnit, I'm gonna have shoes for ANY occasion in my closet.

At one point in time I had a zillion pairs of shoes, half of which I never wore because they were too uncomfy and granted, all I wear now (yes, even in winter) are my Birks, but still, I have and feel entitled to, my shoe collection in my closet.

 

Blogger Rain said ... (1/20/2006 8:52 AM) : 

Boys so don't get it.

You NEED shoes. Make him pay. It's not like you rush out every weekend and buy a new pair.

Funnily enough I just bought a pair of boots today for about $85 and they were half price in the sales. I'd have easily paid full price for them had I been too impatient to wait a few weeks ago.

 

Blogger LC in Sunny So Cal said ... (1/20/2006 8:59 AM) : 

You do know about www.daveswideshoes.com, don't you?

I'm a fellow mudstomper-foot, and I get some great shoes there!

Men don't "get" it because they can wear the same three pairs of shoes with everything: a pair of black, a pair of brown, and sneakers!!

 

post a comment