Thursday, February 02, 2006

Aggravation

So there's supposed to be a story installment today but I have a very good reason why there's not. The reason is Tychus. As you could see from the pictures I finished Tychus yesterday. I also started it yesterday. The pattern is nice enough, easy to memorize for mindless tv knitting. The thing is I swatched and still ended up with the most ginormous hat ever. To big even for my big headed husband (seriously, the man wears huge hats).

This morning after picking up all my knitting supplies from last night I realized why the hat is so large. I was using one size 9 needle and one size 10. Somewhere between the swatching and the actual knitting I switched one of the needles. I think it was when Lola Beans pulled the hat off the needles and dumped my basket of junk on the floor while I was trying to assess the damage to the burned pizza sauce in the kitchen. That was fun.

So now I have this Steelers/Iowa/Bumblebee hat that would fit Jimmy Neutron if he were a real person. What do I do? Do I spend all day today making a hat of the proper size or do I take it as a sign and forget the whole thing? Is there a charity called the Big Headed Hat Foundation that provides huge hats to those with huge heads? I don't know, I just... Don't. Know.

By the way, have you ever tried to take a picture of the top of your own head? Not as easy as you might think.

Labels: ,

Comments on "Aggravation"

 

Blogger turtlegirl76 said ... (2/02/2006 9:08 AM) : 

What if you wove some elastic-y thread through the brim? Or sewed some of the stripey ribs on the inside together? (They'd be hidden by the folded brim) - that's how my mom fixed a hat I made that was too big. It worked and you couldn't even tell.

 

Blogger knottygnome said ... (2/02/2006 9:28 AM) : 

it is hard to get a pic of the top of your head. that is why you should invest in a wiggy-wig.

much less agony all around.

can you felt the hat? or...it only took you one day--you could rip and reknit.

 

Blogger Jillio said ... (2/02/2006 9:34 AM) : 

maybe you could felt it to size...

i've done that.

 

Blogger Rain said ... (2/02/2006 9:35 AM) : 

Add handles and use it as a bag! Just tell him Man Bags are in this season.

 

Blogger Penny Karma, aka the F-Bomb Mom said ... (2/02/2006 11:57 AM) : 

The phrase Man Bag always makes me think of... well, something else.

 

Blogger Sourire11 said ... (2/03/2006 10:52 AM) : 

Love the steelers knitting - even if it's too big!

 

Blogger Jerry & Maxy said ... (2/03/2006 10:33 PM) : 

Man bag. Rain and Penny are soooooooo funnny! I'd go with felting it to size, so the hat doesn't become an omen for Big Ben's ginormous head on a silver platter - you know?

Go Steelers!

 

Blogger DomesticOverlord said ... (2/04/2006 9:15 AM) : 

It's acryllic, it can't be felted or even shrunk.

 

Blogger Becky said ... (2/06/2006 6:27 PM) : 

I made Tychus. It runs very big -- even big for my big-headed husband. I felted mine, because I could. It is nice felted.

I want to try it again smaller, but I'm afraid it might not work out. I know someone else who made it and it was big. It's not you -- it's the pattern.

 

post a comment